GD2 Blog: Week 27

Collaborative Project

As of the 25th of April, I’ve looked into opening up a GitHub so my group for the collaborative project can test out the game as well as make changes and additions towards it.

Once adding the game build onto GitHub, many of the artists within the team will be able to push and then provide their own assets into the game. I’ve also started to update my notes within my Trello board to help show others my progress on the project.

Unreal contains built in support for GitHub using Source Control. This’ll be what the rest of the team can use to update a single build of the game by adding in their own assets, blueprints and etc.

“The Unreal Editor has built-in support for source control packages. Source control is used to manage changes over time to code and data, and enables teams to coordinate their game development efforts.”

docs.unrealengine, 2022

Opening up the game project, I go onto the top bar of the editor and connect to “Source Control” (See Figure 1).

Figure 1

To connect the project, I set the provider as Git and simply initialized the project with it (See Figure 2).

Figure 2

Using GitHub Desktop, for our game to show up in the repository. I’ve added an existing repository which was directed towards the folder of the game (See Figure 3).

Figure 3

With this, I am able to publish the build publicly. To test to see if this worked, I added in a new material and pushed it as a new update towards the build of the game I’d uploaded – the changes I’ve made would show up as well as containing a list of all the new assets added in (See Figure 4).

Figure 4

To test whether this can work for the other team members, I got Liz from the Collaborative Team to add in player sprites as well as any other changes into the project and to push them onto the current build of the game on GitHub.

Before pushing their build of the game, they made a comment on the exact changes they had made towards the project (See Figure 5).

Figure 5

Once they’d pushed the build to the master build, the GitHub page updated to their current version of the game (See Figure 6).

Figure 6

I’d downloaded and opened the build from the GitHub page, I was able to see all the new changes they’d made. As shown in Figure 7, Liz implemented some new player sprites as a test.

Figure 7

Following this progress, I contributed to the group’s Trello board and marked the progress I’d made setting up the GitHub.

I’ve also added in what I’m currently working on so the team is able to check my current progress as well (See Figure 8).

Figure 8

With the GitHub and Source Control now set up, the rest of the artists within the team can now try and import their own assets into the game to try and see what their art looks like.

Indie developers will also be able to set up Blueprints and modify the game as well, building on top of the base I’ve provided.

Bibliography 2022. Source Control. [online] Available at: [Accessed 7 May 2022].

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *